Friday, August 31, 2012

Mud Puddles

Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.  ~Author Unknown
 
 
*****
 
My son Adrian gives new meaning to playing in mud puddles. Our yard is like a swamp when it rains. There are so many dips and holes that it's nearly impossible for it to drain. This is a big pain in the butt for me, but it's nothing short of a playground for my little guy. He will purposely go out of his way to step through a mud puddle. And our mud puddles are more like mud trenches. He will sometimes run straight through them, but at other times he likes to drive his "truck" (as he likes to call it) into them. The worst is when we're about to go somewhere and it has rained. He will keep running around the car, forcing me to chase after him, so that he can hit up his playground that only exists when it rains.  Of course he's giggling and shrieking the whole time, while I'm working up a sweat, and usually right after I have done my hair and makeup. By time I finally catch up with him, there's mud splatters all over him and his clothes and about an inch of water in his shoes. His little cheeks are always so flushed and his big blue eyes are lit up with excitement. Of course, my first inclination is to scold him, but after really looking into his happy little face, I figure what could it hurt? We always trek back into the house to change his clothes, and then I CARRY him out to the car. It's really times like those, that I wonder what I'd do without him. No matter how ill he makes me and no matter how crazy I look after chasing him, I could never picture my life without him. And thanks to my mud-lovin' little man, I'll never look at mud puddles the same.

What I would give to be like this...

And this...

My heart and I...


No comments: