Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mommy Make-up: Save Time and Look Beautiful!

"Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces into their hearts."  ~Martin Buxbaum

******

       Let's be for real, ladies. Most of us just don't beautify ourselves like we used to pre-kids. I am definitely guilty of this. I went from being a high-maintenance, wearing-makeup-to-check-the-mail diva, to only wearing makeup when I go to my kid's school functions (I make sure to not embarrass my kids too much...). And I really hate that this is what I have turned into. I just don't have the time anymore. I always swore I would never be "that woman" who let's herself go, but I think I'm borderline, "that woman". So I have come up with some tips for all those "glamourous on the inside" moms like me. We have to take care of ourselves and I don't know about y'all but I feel better about myself when I look fresh and put together! Below, you'll find ways to look great without your kids having to starve for most of the day because "mommy's putting on her face"!

******

For speedy makeup apllication, you MUST start off with an organized makeup bag or box. Having to hunt down your makeup or digging around in a cluttered bag takes up a lot of time. However, if you have a little extra time, there's a DIY magnet board that you can make and it will make organizing and finding your makeup super easy! Source: http://lewandowskiresort.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-magnetic-make-up-board.html

Materials:
-Cookie Sheet (Dollar Tree has these and make sure it's gonna be big enough to house all your makeup )
-Spray Paint (Color of your choice)
-Round Magnets big enough to fit the back of your makeup containers and strong enough to hold up item
-Hot glue/hot glue gun
-Plastic makeup brush container (preferably a square one so the magnets affixes better)
-Drill
-Ribbon (for hanging)
-Felt dots for the corners so it won't scrape the wall or make a clanging noise

Directions:
This is a super simple project that is cheap and easy to make and definitely worth the little bit of money and time you put into it.
1. Spray paint the cookie sheet. I would do at least two coats. Let dry.
2. While the sheet is drying, go ahead and glue the magnets onto the backs of your makeup and brush container.
3. After the sheet is dry, drill 2 holes at the top and thread the ribbon through them to form the hanger.
4. Glue felt onto each corner on the back. And voila- your done and you have a nice convenient place for your makeup!

Source: http://lewandowskiresort.blogspot.com

Now for the fun part! Putting on that makeup...

* If you have pretty good skin, unlike myself, you can skip the foundation and just apply concealer to any problem areas (under eye darkness, redness on the sides of your nose...). If you go this route, I suggest applying a face primer first. This will give the rest of your makeup something to adhere to. I recommend Sephora's Perfecting Ultra-Smoothing Primer. Once you've applied your concealer, set with powder. This is like smoothing silk onto your face, no lie. If you do need more coverage, opt for a wet to powder foundation. That way you kill two birds with one stone.

* Powder bronzer is a tired, harried mommy's best friend! The shimmering ingredients gives your face a pick-me-up that blush just doesn't seem to offer.  I have an awesome E.L.F. bronzer brush that perfectly applies the shimmery powder. A bronzer brush generally is angled. This provides a concentrated application. I sweep bronzer from one cheek bone, close to the hair line, all the way over across the bridge of my nose, across the other cheek into the other hairline. Then I blend.

*Take a q-tip, dip it in an eyeshadow pigment that is close to your natural eyebrow color, and blend into your eyebrows. Then take your finger and lightly sweep over to remove any excess shadow. I don't like filling in brows with eyeliner. It always ends up looking harsh and unnatural. A lot of women would skip this step, but I don't recommend it. I have naturally near perfect eyebrows, but doing this one tiny thing goes a long way with tying all your makeup together.

*Unless I'm going out, I only apply eyeshadow in the crease of my eyelids. I may press a shimmery taupe shadow onto my brow bone to add some highlight-ness, but if I'm in a big hurry, I just skip that. Grab your eyeshadow brush and blend dark brown eyeshadow in the creases. Make sure you blend this really well or it will look like you have straight hard lines there. Doing this makes your eyes look instantly bigger and adds depth.
Source:ehow.com
*Unless you absolutely have to have it, skip eyeliner altogether unless it's a night out. I like liquid liner, but it's not good if you're in hurry. Liquid liner demands a precision that pencil eyeliner can forgive. So if you must, line the top lid, starting at where your iris (the colored part of the eye for those of you who fell asleep during biology class) begins closest to your nose, and line. I always apply my lower eyeliner on the inner part of my eyelid too. But like I said, if you can skip this part, skip this part. Eyeliner is the biggest time stealing step of makeup application.

*Apply mascara only to the outer longer lashes. Make sure it's a thickening and lengthening mascara. This will instantly add some "lift" to the corners of the eye.

*Skip the lipstick and apply a nude lip gloss. Lip gloss generally comes with it's own applicator and is easier to get right.

******

And that, ladies, is how you put on makeup quickly and effortlessly. This is a great makeup look for when your going grocery shopping and don't wanna look crazy in case you run into someone you know (something that always happens to me when I look my absolute WORST!) or for when you're just sick and tired of looking frumpy. Sometimes I apply makeup even when I'm not going anywhere just to give me that extra boost of confidence. And that time is usually around PMS days!

I really hope you can find my "Mommy Make-up" regimen useful. Feel free to comment and let me know what you do to save time "putting on your face". Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to subscribe via RSS or by email to make sure you never miss a post!

~ XoXo Jess



































No comments: