Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Amazing DIY Ice Cream Sandwiches

"Ice cream is exquisite.  What a pity it isn't illegal."  ~Voltaire

******

       I have to say that I have a love/hate relationship with ice cream. I love it but hate that it's so bad for me. In fact, my whole family loves it so much, that we have to by 2 large containers of it at a time. (Not sure if it's pints, quarts or half gallons so I'll stick with "large containers".) My husband and I have even battled a snow storm to get ice cream in the middle of January! So I think it's safe to say that we are ice cream junkies. 

       I wanted to find a nice ice cream dessert to make with the kids for this summer, so I did some searching. I found such a simple and delectable recipe that I just had to share with y'all! Check these ice cream sandwiches out!

As-You-Like-Em Ice Cream Sandwiches

as you like em ice cream sandwiches
Source: http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/ice-cream-sandwiches- Photo by: Brian Hagiwara
Ingredients:

.

  • 1 package(s) (16- to 18-oz.) refrigerated cookie dough (chocolate chip, sugar, oatmeal or chocolate), well-chilled
  • 1/2 cup(s) (optional) sprinkles, mini chocolate chips or chopped nuts
  • 2 1/2 cup(s) (any flavor) ice cream, slightly softened 

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon 18 to 20 heaping teaspoons of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets, 3 inches apart. (Alternatively, you can just use store-bought cookies.)
  2. Bake 9 to 13 minutes, or until golden. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheets, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
  3. Place sprinkles, chocolate chips or nuts in a shallow bowl (if using). Spoon about 1/4 cup ice cream onto the flat side of 1 cookie; top with the flat side of another cookie and press gently. Roll outer edge of sandwich in topping, if you like. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the freezer until firm, about 2 hours. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream.
       
      I really love this recipe! Please let me know your thoughts on this one. Feel free to comment on what your favorite summer time treats! Thanks for stopping by!


~XoXo Jess


No comments: